2020 was indeed a legendary year. We all took both positives and negatives and learnt many things from the entire year (the virus, lockdown, struggles). I am confused with some perceptions that we have on 2021. What do we perceive from 2021
Most of us often say, “Finally 2020 is over”, “2021 is gonna gives us what we lost in 2020”, “2020 is over and we can finally relax” and related stuff. Most of us think that 2021 will make all those things that we faced in 2020 disappear, 2021 will be a better year and give us all those things that we lost in 2020. These have been most of our perceptions.
Why we have those perceptions?
After all that we have been through in 2020 we feel like 2021 is an escape given to us from all those hardships we faced. So, we think 2021 will give us those things we lost in 2020 and take our troubles away. It seems as a hope for us. As this idea seems too good, we are engulfed in it and think it’s gonna happen as it is like our minds.
- We not only see 2021 as a hope but expect it to be the way we think. We put a burden on the year and expect it to be just the way in our mind. Then it only leads to disappointment
- Getting disappointed. Once we see 2021 has not completely changed from the previous year, we get disappointed which only leads to frustration.
- Blaming and complaining. After disappointment comes the blaming part. After understanding the reality we blame it all on 2021 and complain about our situation (complaining…the culprit of course 🙄).
- The thought gives us hope. The thought that 2021 will be a better year gives us hope. Having hope always makes us stronger in any situation. That hope give us confidence that this will all be over one day.
- It gives us strength. Having that hope in us automatically gives us strength to overcome our current struggles and the entire situation.
This is the confusion I had and which is now sorted out into a clear view. My overall conclusion on this is, hoping 2021 will be a better year that 2020 is actually fine but expecting it to grant all our wishes is no good. Something to understand from this is dreams and hopes are good when there is a clear and firm line between fantasy and reality.